AIPC Membership Application Process
AIPC is an international association of convention and exhibition centres whose mission is to support, encourage and recognize excellence in convention centre operation and management.
Its programs are directed towards enhancing the profile and performance of its members, who represent facilities whose primary purpose is to accommodate and service meetings, conventions, congresses and exhibitions and who are already engaged in or are interested in participating in the international meetings market.
AIPC is an association of member centres rather than individuals. Typically, a member centre is represented by the most senior executive position in the organization.
AIPC welcomes new member applications through the following process, which is designed to ensure that the prospective member’s goals and operation are aligned with those of the AIPC membership.
How to apply for AIPC Membership
In order to be considered for membership, a prospective member must complete the application form available on the AIPC website. Membership in AIPC is by decision of the Board of Directors, who will base their decision on the following factors:
- An engagement and/or interest in addressing the international meetings market*;
- A demonstrated commitment to pursuing AIPC objectives with regard to excellence in convention centre management, and
- The capability to address 1 and 2 by virtue of the facilities and programs in place in a potential member facility.
*an international event is defined as one having a minimum of 100 participants and which either rotates through or has significant participation from at least three countries
The new member application form is designed to provide the Board with sufficient information to enable them to successfully review the prospective member’s request for membership. This information will include:
- Demonstration of a commitment to implement the AIPC Quality Standards program as well as information regarding any other accreditation program that the prospective member has achieved;
- Provision of financial information that demonstrates the international nature of their business and marketing goals strategy, and
- A site inspection of the facility and review of services conducted by an AIPC Board member or designated alternate in order to confirm the prospective members’ ability to satisfy the expectations as set out in the AIPC Convention Centre Criteria checklist.
Please note that the cost for the inspection trip is born by the applicant. In specific cases, with prior approval by the AIPC Board, the site inspection can be replaced by a written recommendation by two AIPC members that are eligible to do so after having completed 5 subsequent years of AIPC membership.
Membership of AIPC becomes official upon approval by the Board of Directors as per the above procedure and with payment of the Entrance Fee (€ 850 for 2010) and first year Membership Fee (€ 1700 for 2010). AIPC membership includes access to all AIPC activities and the Official Delegate’s registration fee for the Annual Conference.
The Board of Directors will then recommend acceptance of the new member at the subsequent General Assembly.
A centre in the process of construction can be admitted as a provisional member, subject to successfully completing the application process as described above. New facilities must provide all business and financial forecasts where actual historic data is unavailable and these forecasts must respond to membership criteria in the same way as actual data from an existing centre.
Provisional membership is subject to confirmation by the Board of Directors one year after opening and following re-submission of all membership application material. Should the provisional member not meet the membership criteria as described above at this time, membership will be terminated. There will be no reimbursement of any fees paid to AIPC in the interim.